Thursday, March 6, 2014

Because He's an Artist with Power

"In the beginning, God created the heaven's and the earth." Genesis 1

"In the beginning was the Word ... and the Word was God ... All things were made through him ... and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us ... the only Son ..."  John 1

"... the Son ... All things were created through him and for him ... and in him all things hold together."  Colossians 1

"... these are written that you may believe that Jesus is ... the Son ..."  John 20

I follow Jesus because he is the creator and sustainer of the universe. What beauty! What power!

Here in Northern California, I get to see the towering Redwoods and the curvaceous hills, the snow dance in the Sierra, and the whitecaps churn across the Bay. I live in an era of jet air travel, digital photography, and satellite telescopy. I've stood in the Belizean jungle, on Alaskan glaciers, and beside stalagmites in a Bermudian cave. I have peeked at my old Bronx neighborhood from Google Earth, and beheld trillion mile distances from star field to star field thanks to Mr. Hubble. And you probably have similar stories to tell.

We live at the vortex of awesome! If you doubt it, follow National Geographic on Instagram. Visit the Annenberg Space for Photography (in person if you can; the exhibit closes April 27). Or just Google 'nat geo photography' and be blown away. Better yet, go take a walk. Look hard and think hard about what you see. Touch it. Smell it. Taste it. Isn't it amazing?

You see, we never just encounter art. We encounter the artist. Beauty. Power. Skill. Subtlety. Complexity. Commentary, on the state of the soul behind the creation. The majesty of the masterpiece is the glory of its maker. So what happens when we consider that WE are Christ's handiwork, too? I do not merely behold his majesty, I manifest it. I move and breath and have my being in it! In Him! A unique expression of the divine design - I am GodArt of the highest order, as is every human being.

Now, imagine a world where every person held themselves, their brothers and sisters, and the whole of creation in awestruck esteem. Imagine a planet honored, nurtured, and protected at every turn. Imagine what Jesus intended when he stepped back from his canvas and praised the goodness of his work.

That's why I'm following Jesus.
He's the maker of all things, who also said, "I am making all things new!"
Oh, I definitely don't want to miss that.




No comments:

Post a Comment